Thursday, January 21, 2010

Toying with a word, "run" - doing my English homework

I have been going through these lines over and over, and fancied myself poking around the idea to get my first hand experience.

Here is a word, run the basic meaning is to move using your legs, going faster than when you walk. Yes, I am able to see a vivid picture of someone running. As I was exploring "run" a bit further with a handful of examples, some patchy fog started to roll into my mind.

1. He is running for the president? (a campaign as a long distant race, make sense).

2. The road runs parallel to the river. (a road as a moving object, make sense)

3. He was running his eyes all over her. (an eye as a moving object, make sense, NOT sure?)

4. Running the big department store is a tough job. (a big department store as a soccer field? partly make sense, NOT sure. or compare a big department store to something else? Although running means managing in this sentence, I can't get a firm grip on it because I can't get a clear source image to which my target one (a big department store) maps. I'm afraid that I won't feel comfortable to use it.)

5. Mom, stop running my life. (same as #4, my life as a soccer field? Doesn't make sense, or compare my life to something else? Although running means controlling in this sentence, I can't get a firm grip on it because I can't get a clear source image to which my target one (my life) maps. I am afraid that I won't feel comfortable to use it.)

6. We ran out of fuel. (make sense)

7. He ran out of ideas (idea is some sort of fuel, still make sense)

8. The course of true love never runs smoothly, quoted from a Shakespeare play. (lovers embarking on the lifelong journey or something like that, make sense, wish I could come up with some beautiful verse like that.).
...
...

999. The farther and longer I am running, the more exhausted and confused I am. You see, I'm taking a short break and pondering if I am on the right track, asking why and how?

No comments:

Post a Comment